When industrial facilities or flexible workspaces require workflow or floor marking changes, the updates must be completed with minimal downtime. Because Lean and 5S facilities are constantly improving as part of the “Sustain” step, paint is an inefficient means of floor marking. Instead, Superior Mark® Floor Marking Tape is a perfect tool to convey easy to follow directions and label procedures within industrial facilities and warehouses. Here, we explore the benefits of floor tape versus paint for providing visual cues in industrial facilities and explore a few tips for improving workflows and adjusting floor plans with lines, signs, and shapes.
Floor Tape Provides Quick and Easy Application
Line painting often requires that you close the facility floor for up to 72 hours—or longer to scrape and prep the floors in advance. Floor marking tape is a longer-lasting solution that applies quickly so you can open the floor again in hours, rather than days. Floor marking tape is a durable option for manufacturing facilities: Once applied, floor tape remains in place through the day-to-day operations, but is far less work to replace than paint. Floor tape can be useful in industrial facilities to:
- Designate paths of travel and traffic flow, especially in areas that are in flux
- Label space for tools or machinery to reduce clutter
- Regulate or streamline manufacturing processes with a pre-determined color-coding system
- Offer additional information when workflows change and making instructions clear in a flexible layout
- Provide clear expectations to improve autonomy and productivity
- Create processes that remain in place while others are adjusted or improved
- Pair with other signage, graphics, and text to provide clear visual instructions
- Work toward better OSHA compliance
No-Residue Tape Reduces Prep Work
Scraping up painted lines takes significantly longer than removing floor marking tape. While the pressure-sensitive adhesive sticks through heavy traffic and long-term use, the easy removal process makes it ideal for flexible floor plans. When traffic lanes, work areas, processes, or storage space changes, the tape can be peeled away and replaced in a fraction of the time.
- Clean, one-piece removal—less scraping up scraps
- No residue left behind means less scrubbing and floor prep prior to new tape application
- Because there’s no scraping involved, small sections can be repaired or updated when necessary
- Easy-to-remove floor tape ensures you’re not leaving behind conflicting floor markings
- Testing new procedures is less of a commitment than if marking with paint
Custom Designs Promote a Visual Workplace
Floor tape can offer clearer messages than painted lines, especially with custom text and instructions. Clarify foot or machinery traffic restrictions, label industrial processes, or alert employees to new or temporary procedures: Color-coding, graphics, and custom messages create a visual workplace and improve workflows for more efficiency. Text offers specific guidance, and when paired with graphics, it’s easy to understand the markings at a glance. This is especially important in industrial locations or warehouses where traffic patterns or methods change regularly. The visual cues should be easy to understand at a glance, whether for a new hire or a long-term employee. Short, concise messages and graphics contribute to a better understanding for a safer location.
- Consistency is key: Logical color cues, icons, and text instructions should remain in effect as layouts change
- Pairing taped lines, signs, and shapes can provide specific instructions to minimize confusion
- Updating outdated processes is easier with clear instructions and visual reminders of the changes
- Custom-printed floor tape is useful for sequences that remain in effect—simply repair floor markings as necessary
Regular Evaluation Improves Efficiency
There’s more to 5S and Lean Methodology than simply implementing a workflow and leaving it at that. A continuous improvement mindset means your facility takes every opportunity to advance processes for efficiency, compliance, safety, and ease. The key is to create a habit of looking for opportunities to improve so processes don’t stagnate. Simply because something has worked in the past doesn’t mean it remains the best option. Ensure processes are well documented, both for employee reference and for regular evaluation. Methods rarely start from scratch: Updates to procedures and techniques are adjusted piece by piece, rather than implemented all at once, to develop systems that work. To effectively design industrial procedures, a thorough evaluation and detailed planning are necessary.
Requesting feedback from all levels—including line workers, floor managers, and department heads—can help pinpoint gaps in the workflow, overly complicated procedures, or areas that require improvement. Floor marking tape and signs are durable, removable options ideal for exploring new procedures or testing processes on a small scale. If you’re unsure if a new method will meet your needs, temporary floor tape adheres securely while you test the options.
As needs change, visual cues must also be adjusted. Don’t send mixed messages with old floor markings. And, because the goal is ‘continuous improvement,’ evaluation doesn’t end because you’ve implemented changes. Instead, audit current processes and implement updates as needed—complete with new tape, signage, and training—then monitor the new layout for issues.
A Kaizen Cart Improves Floor Marking Processes
A streamlined tape application or replacement process ensures downtime and disruption are limited. A Kaizen Cart is ideal for storing tape and tools when not in use—and when repairs are necessary, the cart rolls onto the floor easily. After application, a Kaizen Cart or other floor marking equipment ensures tape is tamped properly, which assures a long-lasting hold. Reduce application time, apply floor markings without bending and cutting, and improve the tape’s durability with an applicator cart. A floor marking tape cart helps boost safety with well-marked floors, and productivity with a time-saving application process.
Floor marking tape is a tool designed to improve facility-wide operations, safety, and productivity. With easy-to-apply, easy-to-remove Superior Mark® Floor Tape, you gain versatility with the ability to update or adjust floor markings as necessary. For more information on how to improve performance with clear visual cues, explore our Resource Center.